Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Regular Wednesday....Whatever That Looks Like.

I started off by driving a friend's car to Lome to try to meet with a potential buyer for the car. The person never showed up, but at least the rendezvous point was a hotel with good coffee. I spent about 2 hours reading and drinking a coffee before arriving home in Aneho at about 2 p.m.

I walked in the door and about 5 minutes later I had a visitor till about 3. From 3 till 4, I looked over my notes for the evening's lesson. At 4, I headed towards the basketball court for our weekly practice. Since this was the first week of school, all the students had to spend Wednesday afternoon cleaning up the grounds. This also included all the basketball players, so..... practice was cancelled.

My next stop was James, my mechanic's shop. He is an auto mechanic, but also works on everything else from welding to auto body work. We are in the process of putting in guard rails for the stairs. We have been 18 months without guardrails, so it is time to just get it done. In all reality, it is our landlord's job. I guess we can just say it has not been at the top of his list. They have been puttied and painted, so almost ready to put in.

At 6 p.m., I taught the 8th lesson from "The making of a leader". We normally have about 10-12 people that come every Wednesday evening. Tonight's lesson was on spiritual authority. I must say this is probably my favorite part of the week. These young leaders are doing a great job trying to learn and apply the Biblical principles to their lives.

I normally stay after the 1 hour session to answer questions and talk with the folks. Victor, a young guy that was saved through the basketball outreach, wanted some help on prayer. He said he gets really nervous talking to God in front of other people. I always enjoy people that are just open and honest about their walk with God. It is so refreshing.

After most everyone left, there were two guys that approached me about a problem. Their p.e. teacher requires them to have shoes, or else they fail the class. Unfortunately, one has lost both parents, and the other young man has lost his dad. This means that they do not really have any "extras" such as shoes. We were able to pass on some shoes that were donated for people just like this. (thanks to those that made it happen)

My most enjoyable part of the day was tonight at about 8:30. I drove the two guys home and both told me that was the first time they had ever experienced air conditioning. It was really fun to watch their reaction to such "cold" temperatures. They lasted about 1.5 minutes before I had to turn it down.

All around, another very good day.